People First will deliver a free course- Speaking Up and we plan to have 5 courses in Auckland / Northland from March to October. It will be delivered via Zoom since the COVID Pandemic is uncertain. Enclosed please find more information.
The Speaking Up Courses assist people with learning disability to strengthen their confidence; develop their personal skills and understanding of relationships within their families, community, and residential and vocational services. The courses place a strong emphasis on interactive learning. The courses can also help participants to appreciate and value their own abilities. Each course is designed 6 two-hour sessions with a maximum of 6 people when the courses are run through online Zoom.
A variety of visual aids, videos, teaching tools and creative experiential processes are used to present this learning, and the participants explore in a very simple way:
• The meaning of ‘self-advocacy’
• Choices and Responsibilities
• Participation in the community
• The fundamental laws and rights we all have as New Zealanders
• The UN Convention for the rights of people with disabilities
• Visiting speakers are also invited to some sessions